Introduction to the Robotics Laboratory
The Laval University Robotics Laboratory is part of the
Mechanical Engineering Department of the
Faculty of Science and Engineering. Established
in 1989 by Professor Clément M. Gosselin, the research
team is now composed of more than twenty graduate students and research associates.
Since January 2001, Professor Gosselin is holding a
Canada Research Chair in Robotics and Mechatronics, a prestigious Canadian award.
A second Professor, Philippe Cardou, has joined the laboratory in 2007.
The research team has produced numerous publications and technical achievements. The research carried
out in the Robotics Laboratory is funded by the major funding agencies such as the Natural Sciences and
Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and the Fonds québécois de la recherche
sur la nature et les technologies (FQRNT). The laboratory has also been involved in research contracts
with organisations such as the Hydro-Quebec Research Institute (IREQ), Government agencies and ministries,
the Institut de Recherche en Santé et Sécurité du Travail du Québec (IRSST),
the Canadian Space Agency, CAE Electronics, Opal-RT, MDA Space Missions and GM Canada.
The research activities of the laboratory are mainly focused on the study of parallel mechanisms
and articulated robotic hands two areas in which the laboratory has already gained
The laboratory is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, including more than twenty PCs running under
Linux and Windows, several serial and parallel robots, robotic hands, a parallel-processor system for
real-time control and simulation, a rapid prototyping machine, and a wire EDM machine.
Laval University is located in
Quebec City, the
capital of the province of Quebec, the heart of French North America. The University
was founded in 1852, and its origins go back to 1663. The student population is more than
35,000 and courses are taught in French.